Not to whore for Arrow Films, but dammit, the British studio has just lobbed breaking news of another Blu-grenade of cult 1080p joy. Arrow has divulged the official specs below for a high definition (and DVD) drop of Dario Argento’s Deep Red (Profondo rosso) that should be arriving in late November/early December. I imagine this, like Battle Royale and Inferno, will be completely region free.
It remains to be seen whether or not the image quality of this release is tremendous; Arrow’s fresh Inferno BD unfortunately just looks “decent” and could definitely show improvement (several other Blu-ray releases are forthcoming). Deep Red has been previously released in HD on an admittedly great looking WMV-HD bonus disc on Medusa’s DVD SE in Italy several years ago. As usual, fingers crossed and it’s always great to see a studio pick up the slack left in the wake of Anchor Bay’s ever-increasing disinterest in the catalog home video market.
– Two versions of the film in High Definition, completely uncut for the first time in the UK
– Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned art work
– Two-sided fold-out poster with new art work
– Exclusive collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on Deep Red by Alan Jones, author of ‘Profondo Argento’
DISC 1 CONTAINS:
– Brand new transfer of the Director’s Cut in High Definition (1080p)
– Optional Dolby 5.1/Stereo Italian Audio and Mono/Stereo English* Audio
– Introduction by composer Claudio Simonetti (1080p)
– Rosso Recollections – Dario’s Deep Genius (1080p)
– Lady in Red: Daria Nicolodi remembers Profondo Rosso (1080p)
– Music to Murder For! Claudio Simonetti on Deep Red (1080p)
– Original Italian Trailer (1080p) TBC
– Original Trailer (1080p) TBC
DISC 2 CONTAINS:
– Brand new transfer of the International Theatrical Cut in High Definition (1080p)
– A Tour of the Profondo Rosso (Deep Red) shop in Rome with long time Argento collaborator Luigi Cozzi (1080p)
*The English Audio track on the Director’s Cut has some portions of English audio missing. This was either never recorded or has been lost. The English audio has been painstakingly assembled from various audio sources and represents the most complete audio available in a Mono/Stereo audio mix.